Sclerotherapy is a very popular treatment done to remove any unwanted spider veins. According to the mayo clinic, Sclerotherapy effectively treats varicose and spider veins. It’s often considered the treatment of choice for small varicose veins. Sclerotherapy involves injecting a solution directly into the vein. The sclerotherapy solution causes the vein to scar and collapse, forcing blood to reroute through healthier veins. The collapsed vein is reabsorbed into local tissue and eventually fades.
After sclerotherapy, treated veins tend to fade within a few weeks, although occasionally it may take up to a month to see the full results. In some instances, several sclerotherapy treatments may be needed.
Post treatment instructions
- We recommend wearing compression stockings for at least the first three days (bring them to the appointment with you).
- Should avoid getting it wet for the first day
- Inflammation, bruising and tenderness is very common
- Darkness or discoloration is a common side effect for the first couple weeks.
- Sunscreen is very important and mandatory for the first 2-3 months
- Remember to Walk, Walk, Walk for 20mins twice a day
- Avoid strenuous exercising (i.e. aerobics, weight training, running and biking) and extreme heat (shower, sauna and bath) for the first 2-3 days.